There are loads of easy ways to use a bit less – and help make a big difference – so please read on, pick something new that’s simple for you and be water-smarter this summer.
Use a bit less - outside
- Mulch your garden to keep moisture in
- Control your hose with a flow "trigger gun"
- Choose plants well suited to local conditions
Use a bit less - inside
- Fix leaks - taps, toilets and pipes
- Toilets - use an old plastic bottle in your cistern to save a litre or two every flush
- Look for water-efficiency labels when buying new appliances such as washing machines
Setting up a rainwater tank
Diverting rainwater from your downpipe to a storage tank is a great way to reduce your use of treated water, especially for gardening or outdoor cleaning.
It can also increase your options in the event of as water supply emergency.